Iowa Chapter of the American College of Cardiology
The Iowa Chapter of the American College of Cardiology was incorporated on January 13, 1992.
ACC Is Your Professional Home
ACC provides tools and resources that support you in your efforts to provide high quality cardiovascular care to patients. From training through retirement, membership brings with it benefits that help you transform cardiovascular care and improve heart health.
The ACC is THE Professional Home for Cardiovascular Specialists and the Care Team. To Represent YOU, the ACC is actively working on:
- Member Value and Engagement
- Purposeful Education
- Data, Information & Knowledge
- Transformation of Care
- Population Health
The mission of the Chapter shall be to contribute to the prevention of cardiovascular diseases and to ensure optimal quality of care for individuals with such diseases. In carrying out this mission the Chapter shall function, in consultation with the leadership of the College, as a source of advice to local and state governmental and professional organizations concerning issues related to cardiovascular disease. The Chapter shall, in the interests of patients, physicians and the public in general, maintain a high level of social consciousness and involvement with socioeconomic factors and access to the highest possible quality of cardiovascular health care.
ACC Core Values
- Professionalism: The interests of patients are primary.
- Knowledge: The College must promote growth, dissemination and application of knowledge about cardiovascular medicine.
- Value of the cardiovascular specialist: The cardiovascular profession makes a distinct contribution to medical care that should be recognized and
- Integrity: Honesty, compliance with legal requirements, and ethical behavior are essential in all activities.
- Member driven: The College and its major activities must be led by active members and must promote volunteerism.
- Inclusiveness: The College involves a broad range of volunteers that reflects the composition of its membership.
5235 540th Street, S.E.
Lone Tree, IA 52755
ACC Iowa Chapter President | Governor
Nicolas W. Shammas, MD, MS, EJD, FACC, FSCAI, FICA
Dr. Shammas began his 2017-2020 three-year term as the Iowa Chapter President/Governor in March, 2017. He is an interventional cardiologist with Cardiovascular Medicine, P.C. in Davenport, Iowa and an Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. He is also the founder and Research Director of the Midwest Cardiovascular Research Foundation, a non-profit foundation dedicated to cardiovascular clinical research and education. Dr. Shammas was accepted as a member of the ACCPAC Council of Advisors in July, 2017 and has served on the Strategic Council since July, 2012.
1236 E Rusholme St #300
Davenport, IA 52803
Please contact Dr. Shammas with any questions or concerns regarding American College of Cardiology or Iowa Chapter.
Previous and Incoming ACC Iowa Chapter Governors/Presidents
- 1966-1969 Allen G. Fleter, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 1969-1972 Donald L. Warkentin, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 1972-1975 Ronald M. Lauer, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 1975-1978 Richard E. Kerber, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 1978-1981 Richard M. Schieken, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 1981-1984 Donald B. Doty, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 1984-1987 Melvin L. Marcus, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 1987-1990 David J. Skorton, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 1990-1993 Michael G. Kienzle, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 1993-1996 Michael D. Winniford, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 1996-1999 Philip A. Habak, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 1999-2002 James R. Hopson, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 2002-2003 Kevin C. Dellsperger, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 2003-2005 Dinesh H. Jagasia, M.B.B.S., F.A.C.C.
- 2005-2008 Blair W. Foreman, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 2008-2011 Craig B. Clark, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 2011-2014 Nidal Harb, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 2014-2017 Kelly Ann Light-McGroary, M.D., F.A.C.C.
- 2017-2020 Nicolas W. Shammas, MD, MS, EJD, FACC, FSCAI, FICA
- 2020-2023 Mahi L. Ashwath, MD, FACC, FASE